Craptanisty Land

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Baby Tender

If you have been around me for any length of time you know that I often make jokes. One of my jokes has been about the Skinner Box that B.F. Skinner raised his children in. These jokes often rotate around the idea that I would only have children if I could get a hold of one of these Baby Tenders to raise them in .I was recently inspired by Ed's post about a baby keeper, to do a little research about the baby tender.



Now, I know ignorance is bliss. When I looked up the Baby Tender on the internet I found out it was only an Urban Legend. Unfortunately it appears that Skinner's new invention was only an enclosed and heated crib with a plexiglass window. He sent an article to the popular magazine the Lady's Home Journal. Changing Skinner's title to grab attention, the article came out as "Baby in a Box". The "baby tender", as Skinner called his crib, was used only as a bed for the new baby. Deborah had a playpen and spent as much time out of her bed as do other infants. But inevitably confusion occurred between the baby tender and the "Skinner Box."

Well, I guess this postpones my having children at least another 5 years.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know.. just because Skinner didn't doesn't mean you can't..

9:07 AM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Well since I consider Skinner to be a pretty unethical psychologist and even he didn't go through with this. I think I would have a hard time doing it with out sciencetific History on my side.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

You have to make history.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home