Craptanisty Land

Monday, October 30, 2006

"Would you like a 'girl' or a 'boy' toy?"

Thank you McDonald's. As some of you know it has frustrated me to no end that when you purchase the wonderful McDonald's Happy Meal the crew member asks you if the meal is for a "boy" or a "girl". I recently asked McDonald's why they do this and today I saw they responded to my question. My post on their blog is as follows

Monticore- I haven't been able to get answer to this question. Why do McDonald's employees ask if you would like a "boy" or a "girl" toy with your Happy Meal. I really take offense to this question. I think it is reinforcing subscribed gender roles. Why can't they just ask do you want the Hummer or the Polly Pocket. It's a simple change but I think it's the right change. Thanks for reading

Response: As you may have seen by now, a crew member in one of our restaurants says they make a point of offering customers a choice of Happy Meal promotions by naming the toys in the manner you recommend. This is consistent with our long-standing track record of promoting gender diversity and equal opportunity.

Well their response to my question is right. However in real life I am still only asked "do you want the girl or boy toy?" But I guess it's the thought that counts right??

But the good new is the next batch of toys is gender free.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

You won't see the movie, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the toys.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I see that right: there's a character called "Le Frog"?

That is really really funny to me. Now you should send them a comment about backing movies promoting ethnic/national stereotypes.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Ehh.. Jay I'll let you send that comment. I've got some other battles to fight with the tampon companies.

Also I love the cartoon characters that make fun of the French ala Pepie La Pew

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm curious. What battles have you to fight with the tampon companies?

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy's has snoopy toys here. I wanted Charlie Brown but I got Snoopy sleeping on the dog house but without the dog house.

Wendy's blows!

yeah what's the beef with the tampons?

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's my wife, fighting the good fight.

i think the tampon companies might get an earful because now they're including saniwipes, and somehow this has heather all fired up.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Ed's right. I'm sick and tired of everyone wanted my box to smelly like daisys all 28 days.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

ahahahahaha! I thought this was the funniest blog thread I have ever read. I totally agree with you... don't get me wrong. I guess it was just watching the dialogue among friends that cracked me up.

I personally have never experienced the happy meal toys being offered by gender. However I know they have the toddler toy, and the child toy. Emily hates that.

I'm curious about the sani wipes now. I think I may go research what Ed was referring to.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home