Craptanisty Land

Friday, December 15, 2006

My Favorite and Least Favorite X-Mas Songs

Christmas is the time of year when your senses are treated to the various sights, smells, tastes and sounds of the holidays. Some of these sounds I love and welcome others, I loathe. So here is my list of my top 5 Christmas songs I love and the top 5 I loathe.

My Loves
1. War is over if you want it- John Lennon & Yoko Ono
Classic Favorite for those who love Liberal Guilt at Christmas
2. Blue Christmas- Elvis Pressly
Just Perfect
3. Last Christmas - Wham!
I love Wham
4. Wonderful Christmastime- Paul McCartney
I'm simply having a wonderful christmastime
5.I want A Hippoptamus for Christmas-
This is a new favorite of mine


My Loathes
1. Christmas Shoes-Alabama
Possibly the worst song. It goes along to a crapy movie by the same name.
2. Please Daddy don't get drunk this Christmas-John Denver
Also done by Alan Jackson and the Decemberist. It's so bad I almost like it.
3. Back Door Santa-Bon Jovi
4. Jingle Bell Boogie-Jingle Dogs
I know Adam loves this one but it drives me nuts
5. Grandma got run over by a reindeer

I couldn't think of anything more clever but it still sucks

Please share your list with me.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with most of your lists. But the jingle dogs...deserve better. I made a funn christmas cd and Jay and I were listening to it blaring it around in the parking lots. One guy was singing or I should say barking along before he caught himself. It's a pretty funny song. Maybe if I remind myself I'll send you the song.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

I know that others feel the same way you do, but the jingle dogs drive me insane.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know Justin hates the "Baby It's Cold Outside."

My mother hates the "Little Drummer Boy" song.

I like the "Wonderful Christmastime" song a lot too.

The Jingle Dogs aren't the worst thing to happen at Christmas. We had a great time playing it as loudly as we dared. Woof woof woof...

3:33 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Ok, the hippo song? are you mad woman!! and why is there no Chipmunk representation on the worst ever list?

And no, justin loves the "baby its cold outside" as long as it's the Al Hirt and Ann-Margaret version.

I would have to put the "Little Drummer Boy" with David Bowie and Bing Crosby on the best ever list, all time best ever. It was Crosby's last public performance before he died, and combined with Bowie, come-on, GENIUS!!

My new favorites involve the Barenaked Ladies.

As for the jingle dogs, drown them in the river for all I care.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Not the biggest Christmas song type of person, but I'm sure that doesn't come as a surprise to many.

I prefer the more whimsical type of songs, Weird Al stuff. You know, Christmas at Ground Zero, etc.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Justin-
I really can't explain my love for the Hippo song but it did knock David Bowie off my list.

And your right about the Chipmuncks, I only wish I'd thought of it.

"I wanna play my Harmonica."

8:38 AM  
Blogger timidvenus said...

you are so right with the stupid christmas shoes song. the weird thing is about that one: woody and i have each heard it played at numerous funerals - ALL YEAR LONG. i try really hard to be open and accepting about the way folks choose to memoralize their dead, but come on, its a CHRISTMAS song.

anyhoo, my favorite is all i want for christmas is you, mariah carey (although i rather like the kid on love actually that sings it).

9:46 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Sara- I couldn't agree more with you on the All I want for Christmas is You. It was almost in my top 5 along with the Arab Dance from Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker

9:52 AM  
Blogger edluv said...

ode to joy. in the mother tongue.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home