Craptanisty Land

Thursday, February 28, 2008

And You Thought Tyra's Life was tough-Rated M for Mature

Watching America's Next Top Model these last few years has taught me many things. Most importantly that modeling is tough! Over the year I have seen my share of models who had there challenges. However this season no joke one girl has a serious problem. One Model, Fatima is Somalian and she mentioned that she has undergone the process of Female Genital Cutting (FGC). I generally refer to this as Female Genital Mutilation but that is not the Politically Correct Term.

Well I thought I had an idea what FGC entailed but I seen now I was only aware of Type I FGC. It appears there are Three degrees of FGC. I posted a picture below to further disgust you.


Although these pictures are disturbing I was glad to become more aware of the degree of mutilation that occurs to these women. In the case of Fatima, she has Type III and in my readings I learned that married women are excepted to have intercourse, concieve and delievery children in this state. "A reverse infibulation can be performed to allow for sexual intercourse or when undergoing labor, or by female relatives, whose responsibility it is to inspect the wound every few weeks and open it some more if necessary. During childbirth, the enlargement is too small to allow vaginal delivery, and so the infibulation must be opened completely and restored after delivery. Again, the legs are sometimes tied together to allow the wound to heal. When childbirth takes place in a hospital, the surgeons may preserve the infibulation by enlarging the vagina with deep episiotomies. Afterwards, the patient may insist that her vulva be closed again"

So now I hope you are also as disturbed as you are informed.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I remember that they did some of that in Kenya, but I know that there are UN programs that are trying to educate people out of these barbaric practices. Just awful.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Yeah, wow. I only knew about the first type as well.

Wow.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

I took an anthropology of Africa class in college, and we read about this, though I never fully understood the specifics. It's amazing what still happens in our world.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can we move on to pictures of Puddles or something, please?
Hoohas make me nervous.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Okay I'll get right on that Jay

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home