Craptanisty Land

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Misadventures in Gardening

So about 2 weeks ago I attempt to patch our front lawn with some fresh Bermuda grass. I spent a few hours preparing the soil, spreading the seeds and covering it with topsoil. Like a child I tended to it daily with care. This included watering it multiple times during the day, worrying about it and reading up on whatever tips I could find. Last week I noticed little seedlings and I was so excited. Today I'm not so sure.

You see this is what Bermuda seedlings should look like.


This is what the seedlings in my yard look like

This what the seedlings of a common weed that is in my yard looks like
What I don't get is why are these seedlings just coming up in the exact spots that I sprinkled Bermuda seeds. Well as long as my yard looks like crap I will give it a few more weeks and see what comes of my experiment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lulu said...

Sure doesnt look like Bremuda! That is dissapointing to spend all that time and energy and it didnt go right and you dont know why. Ask omeone at Lowes or Home Depot or go to that nursery on Shields and see if they can give you an expert opinion. Bummer though.

8:25 AM  
Blogger m.wise said...

i think i saw one or two pieces of bermuda in the middle picture.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Mike- Those pieces of Bermuda are most likely from the old lawn. I don't know it's a bummer

6:29 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Did you put down fertilizer or manure with the new seeds?

If so, your grass may not have sprouted but the extra food was probably just what the weeds ordered.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Adam-you're probably right. I didn't have as much time as I would have like to had to do the job so I neglected the step where you administer a weedkiller and then wait 10 days to seed. I still got loads of seeds but it is too hot to try again. Lesson learned.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home