Craptanisty Land

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Monti's Tips for the Heat

So it is like the 20th day in a row that the temp is near or over 100 degrees. I don't know why but I have a hard time regularity my body temperature so I am often Hot or Cold which lead to irritability and since I don't have a proper Air Conditioner I thought I would share some tips with you on some ways to keep cool in this heat. Now bear in mind I'm not going to mention things like drinking water or staying out of the heat because this seems like common sense. Here is my list of a few things that really work but you might not of thought of.
  1. Keep your lotion and other like products in the fridge. This is a great tip because everyone has dry skin in the summer and smoothing cold lotion on the skin is really refreshing. Also try using lotion with peppermint or spearmint oil in it.
  2. Turn your fan into an air conditioner. Just put a gallon jug of water in the freezer over night and once it is frozen place it on stool in front of a circular fan. You can also try putting frozen water jugs inside your swamp cooler if you have easy access to it. I used to do this at our old apartment.
  3. Take a bath. This is one of my go to moves. Make sure the water is lukewarm rather then cold so you don't shock your system. After you get used to the temperature you can let out some of the water and then add some colder water. During the hottest time of the day you can often find me taking a cool bath playing solitaire or reading a book.
  4. Make use of cold packs. I have a collection of athletic cold packs that I keep in the freezer. If I need to cool off I place several of these on my bed or couch, cover with a towel and then lie down. This really makes things comfortable especially if you are trying to sleep to beat the midday heat. If you think about it, it is very similar to what animals do in the wild only I would rather not lie in cool dirt.
Well I hope this helps and please feel free to share your tips.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Nice tips.

I've done the oscillating fan turned A/C before except I used a towel that I soaked and then froze and hung behind the fan. I would rotate the towels as they melted. Not quite as self-contained as the jug-o-water but very effective.

Also, I did a lot of not wearing clothes when I was home alone at the Belmont/Broadway apartment. :-P

11:14 AM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Not wearing clothes is a given

11:20 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I generally dont mind the heat except when I am trying to sleep. I can't sleep if I am hot so if it gets really bad I will put my pillow case in the freezer and take a cold shower before bed so my hair is wet which really cools me down.
Homemade AC though, how very McGyver of you!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

When I lived in Fresno, jumping into the pool at night before bed was a given, same as a cool shower I'd think. Wet hair and skin with no sun to dry it off helped a lot. I have major problems sleeping when it's too hot.

And I've never kept lotion in the fridge, but I do keep aloe in there for the odd sunburn. Nothing beats ice cold aloe on burned skin.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

I guess that blended alcoholic beverages are also a given? :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

I'm sitting on the porch with a half mellon from the fridge and a glass of dry reisling. Today was skirting 100, tomorrow is supposed to break it. It just isn't supposed to be that hot up here!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home