Craptanisty Land

Friday, January 19, 2007

Music Monday

Okay, It's not quite Monday, but I couldn't wait. This week's topic is Best/Worst songs talking about a true event.

Best
1.
Oliver's Army-Elvis Costello
I couldn't decide on this song or the Monty Python song about Oliver Cromwell but I think this is a better song.

  • Oliver's Army is a song written by Elvis Costello, originally performed by Elvis Costello and the Attractions and appearing on the album Armed Forces in 1979.Written after the author visited Belfast in Northern Ireland, it criticizes the British Army for targeting disadvantaged young men leaving secondary school (when the song was written in the late 1970s, England had a high unemployment rate). The title refers to Oliver Cromwell, who as Protector of the CommonwealthNew Model Army, an earlier version of the modern British Army. The song also mentions specific "trouble spots" in the world, such as South Africa (at the time experiencing turmoil over Apartheid), Palestine, Cyprus, and most prominently Northern Ireland. In reference to the latter country, Costello included the controversial lyric "Only takes one itchy trigger/One more widow, one less white nigger", referring to the Irish, as they have historically been oppressed by the English, much as black people have been oppressed in many countries. Costello is himself of Irish descent.

2. I'll Stick Around-Foo Fighters

  • It is largely believed to be a song about Courtney Love, widow of former Nirvana lead singer Kurt Cobain, in response to Love's alleged mishandling of the legacy of Cobain and Nirvana.

3. Hurricane-Bob Dylan
This is the story of Ruben "Hurricane" Carter
4.
Sunday Bloody Sunday -U2
Okay so this isn't the U2 video, but I think it's funnier

  • Bloody Sunday (Irish: Domhnach na Fola) is the term used to describe an incident in Derry, Northern Ireland, on 30 January 1972 in which 26 civil rights protesters were shot by members of 1st Battalion of the British Parachute Regiment, during a Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association march in the Bogside area of the city. Thirteen people, six of whom were minors, died immediately, while the death of another person 4½ months later has been attributed to the injuries he received on the day. Two protesters were injured when run down by army vehicles.[1] Many witnesses including bystanders and journalists testify that all those shot were unarmed. Five of those wounded were shot in the back.

5. Vincent-Don McLane
I've always loved this song

  • Don McLean wrote Vincent in 1971 after reading a book about the life of artist Vincent Van Gogh. In the 1970s, the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam played the song daily and a copy of the sheet music, together with a set of Van Gogh's paint brushes, is buried in a time capsule beneath the museum.

Worst

1. Candle in the Wind-Both Versions
  • I hated the orginal version about Marilyn Manroe and I despise the Dianna version. I feel like Elton John really wussed out when he just changed the lyrics and called it a "new song." I hate this song as much as I hate Wind Beneth my wings.
2. The Night Chicago Died-Paper LaceOkay it's not really about a true event, but it's still a terrible song

3. I don't like Mondays-Boomtown Rats
  • On 29 January 1979, 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer opened fire on children arriving at Cleveland Elementary School in San Diego from her house across the street, killing two men and wounding eight students and a police officer. Principal Burton Wragg was attempting to rescue children in the line of fire when he was shot and killed, and custodian Mike Suchar was slain attempting to aid Wragg.Spencer used a rifle her father had given her as a gift. As to what impelled her into this form of murderous madness, she told a reporter,''I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day.''
I guess it's not a terrible song, but it is inspired by true events

4. I'll be missing you-Sean Combs, Faith Evans

I just hate this song and wish that Sting hadn't allowed them to steal his song. I mean really if I die and one of my friends is so broken up they want to write a song I hope they also take the time to write some music. Come On!!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

I would have to add "John Wayne Gacy Jr." by Sufjan Stevens.

It's about the serial killer. I'm not sure if I would add it to the best or worst. It's a great song but incredibly disturbing.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Wow a song about the killer clown. That sounds great. I've got to check out this Sufjan Stevens ever one is talking about him/her.

9:51 AM  
Blogger kendalljean said...

I played Monty Python's "Oliver Cromwell" for my AP Euro class.

I also like "With God On Our Side" by Bob Dylan and there was a remake done by Straylight Run (I think that's their name) that I also like... play that for my class too.

Also, this isn't about an event, but I like finding similarities between communism and "Imagine" by John Lennon. I always do a disclaimer in class on that one... don't want to upset any parents.

And once again... I've related everything to teaching- but it was sort of applicable seeing as I teach about real events. :)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Kendal what is with God on our side about?? Also I didn't know anyone on this side of the pond knew about the Oliver Cromwell song but me.

From my small bit of research it seems like a lot of Irish really dislike Oliver Cromwell.

Do you know why?

8:14 PM  
Blogger kendalljean said...

Ireland had been rebelling from English rule and when Cromwell took control he sought to reconquer Ireland. His campaigns were very brutal with not only thousands of soldiers being killed, but also thousands of civilians and towns being burned to the ground. His actions against them were not unique but for some reason still very much remembered. That is the gist of it.

AND...

What is wrong with "With God On Our Side"? It's a great anti-war song that refers to all of the recent wars. What the hell? Don't be a music snob!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Kendall-I re-read what I wrote and I see how you took that. What I meant was "I'm not familiar with that song what is it about.

Thanks for the Comwell bit

9:23 PM  
Blogger kendalljean said...

hahaha! I now reread what you wrote and see what you meant. Now to reply to your original question. :)

"With God On Our Side" is a critique on most of America's wars. Making the point that America fights under the presumption that we are always right and just, and therefore have God on our side.

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/withgod.html

Sorry for the misread. :)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home