Craptanisty Land

Monday, February 05, 2007

Music Monday

Well this week's topic is Songs named after girls. I was a little late coming up with this topic so I have not given it as much thought as I'd like. I realized that I generally like songs named after girls and I had a hard time thinking of songs for my worst list. But the show must still go on. So here are my 5 best and 1 bad songs named after girls.

The Good
1. Julia- The Beatles
I'm not a big fan of Michelle but I love Julia it's one of my favorite songs off the White Album

2. Brimful of Asha-Cornershop
I feel like a big dork because I've been a huge fan of this song ever since 1998 and I also think Ashawary Rai is the most beautiful woman in the world. I also knew this song was about a famous Indian Movie star but it took me until last week to put the to together.

3. Delilah-Tome Jones
Not a big fan of the add-libbed lyrics people add when Kareokeing but the original is great.

4. Rosa Parks-Outkast
Not much about Rosa Parks other than the title but she did sue them because the song tarnished her image.

5. Mandy-Barry Manilow
Are you happy now Fan-i-lows


The Bad
1. Gloria-Laura Branigan
I'm not sure if I love this song or hate it. I also have no idea what this song is about but it sounds like Gloria is in trouble.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lefty said...

How could you not mention Patti Smith's Gloria? Shame, shame, shame.

Actually I could name several good girl named songs....if I wasn't so swamped right now.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Songs that came to mind for me:

Rolling Stones - Angie
van Morrison - Gloria
Paul Simon - For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her
Counting Crows - Amy Hit the Atmosphere

9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

(those were the good ones)
More Good:
Loretta Lynn - Mad Mrs. Leroy Brown
My Chemical Romance - Helena
Simon and Garfunkel - Cecelia

Bad:
Looking Glass - Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)
Boston - Amanda

11:55 AM  
Blogger timidvenus said...

what about sara???

2:50 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Thanks everyone. Yesterday when I got home I remembered Sara- Hall n' Oates. Then there is Melissa and Jessica by the Allmans.

Lefty- I'm so lame I don't know Patti's Gloria

Jay- I'm only familiar with the Stone's song from your first post but Mad Mrs. Leroy Brown and Cecelia are favs of mine.

Once agian there are just too many good songs named after girls

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home