Craptanisty Land

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Music Monday

It's a British Invasion this week. Gustav last week gave me the charge to create a best an worst British band list. This is going to be a tough challenge for me in three ways.
  1. There are just too many great British Bands to just pick five. My list will fall short of mentioning all my faves (The Spice Girls didn't even get a spot nor did Radiohead, because they are a given)
  2. It's hard for me to think off any bad British bands. Maybe it's a personal flaw but I hardly met a British band that I didn't like.
  3. I don't want to pick the obvious 5 best British bands (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Radiohead, David Bowie, The Clash). I want to pick my 5 favorite British bands that will not make any retrospective top 10 list. Therefore I am limiting my picks from the 1990-till Present.
Before I go any further I have to give major thanks to Justin and Q magazine for keeping me up to date on the latest British bands.

The Best
Lady Sovereign- Yeah it's the UK's biggest midget and she's my new obsession. I know some people aren't down with her, but comon everybody get random



The Sundays- Oh my melancholy teenage years would have never been complete with out the vocals of Harriet Wheeler. I also always though the beginning guitar rift to Here's Where the Story Ends sounds strangely similar to Cemetery Gates by the Smiths.




Morrissey-Since I'm keeping the picks to the 1990's I won't include the Smiths but they are a band that changed my life and I love Steven Patrick Morrissey. Lot's of good songs to choose from but I will always go with my perennial favorite Suedehead.



Robbie Williams- He just recently one the "worst album" award at the New Music Express Awards but I love tracks like Let Me Entertain You, Millennium and this one
Rock DJ



Elastica- I've always told anyone who would listen to me that when I walk into a room I always want Elastica's The Connection playing. Well at least it's always playing in my head.



Blur- I've loved these lads since the early 90's and never stopped. My Favorite song is Coffee and TV partially because of the clever video by Hammer and Tongs and partially because it was written Justine of Elastica by Damon Albarn as an attempt to woo her back. The song didn't work for her but it sure worked for me.

Near Misses- My deepest sympathies to Texas, Travis, Dido, The Charlatans UK, Garbage, James, The Beautiful South, Manic Street Preachers, The Delays, Cornershop, Suede and Muse. You will always be on my Cd rotation.

The Worst
Chumbawamba- I'll just the this song speak for it's self




The Darkness-I just want to know where are all those people who said The Darkness was the Greatest Band ever. They are an okay novelty group at best.



But I thought The Office version of the tune was funny



The Streets- They have had a lot of critical acclaim but their genius was lost on me.



All Saints- This was a Spice Girls wanna be group. Dispite what the critics may say I am an Openly Proud Spice Girls fan. I love them all Geri, Emma, Vics, Mel B and Mel C. I've even followed their solo careers and they just missed making my top 5 list. But All Saints is another story.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger auritus said...

I showed my friend the video of Lady Sovereign because he didn't know who she was.

Quote from his response: "it's like what would happen if Missy Elliot and the Spice Girls had a midget kid"

8:05 PM  
Blogger edluv said...

missy elliot has done some remixes with her. and she's also worked w/some of the beastie boys. and, i think she's on roc a fella records now, but i'm not positive of that.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was scrolling through your post just waiting for Blur. Ooooh, I hate that band so much!

That's not going to make me any new friends, but screw it- that's how I feel.

koo-wshhhhh goes the toilet.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Jay don't you even start talking about my Blur! Just because a certain someone who had a crush on you loved that band doesn't mean it sucks. Did you even watch the video???

4:03 PM  
Blogger edluv said...

why was morissey riding that tractor?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

It's a classic homosexual icon

5:50 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

Thanks for including the Coffee and TV video, one of my all time top favorites ever hands down no qualifiers.

Now I must say I am a bit dissapointed that Saint Etienne and Belle and Sebastian didn't make it on the list, but at least Beautiful South got a heads up.

I notice also that you didn't put my favorite 80's brit bands, Erasure and Pet Shop Boys. And what about Depeche Mode???


And Jay can just shut his big fat Blur hating mouth.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Justin,
As you know there just isn't enough space to list all the bands I love. But I did neglect The Pet Shop Boys, Erasure, Depeche Mode, not to mention New Order, The Cure and Sioux Sioux

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home