Craptanisty Land

Friday, May 18, 2007

Are Starbury's "Bitten" by sweatshops?

Okay I was watching Oprah today and I saw Steven Marbury and Sarah Jessica Parker sell their fashion wares to the public. As most of you know Marbury has created a line of atheletic shoes that are hip, high quality and under 15 $. The line called Starbury's is created "so you can stay fly and still stay on budget. It’s about maximum shine for minimum expense…You feel me?”

Sarah Jessica Parker's line Bitten's moto is "Fashion is not a luxury it's a right." Her clothes are all under 20$ and appear to be made using quality fabrics.

I love the idea of making fashion affordable but I have to wonder if these clothes are made in sweatshops. This article of in the Nation does too. However I'm sure the more expensive clothes I buy at Ann Taylor or Macy's are not necessarily sweatshop proof.

6 Comments:

Blogger edluv said...

well, the article does point out that the are a part of a fair trade group, so theoretically they aren't made in sweatshops.

now, some critics have a very loose definition of sweatshop. "One of the key ways to define a sweatshop is whether workers have the right to develop an independent, democratic voice in the workplace either by creating a worker-owned cooperative or an independent trade union." i don't quite buy that as the definition. i'd go more with unsafe working conditions, excessive hours, etc. now, unions help eliminate those, but i just can't equate a lack of union being a sweatshop.

now, i also would question labor practices in china (where starbury's are made) because so many people have pointed out repeated violations. so, it's not as easy to say that 'we're a part of this trade group so we must be clean.'

1:34 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Plus, I don't think any of the shoes look all that good.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Monticore said...

Still they SJP and M.S. haven't promoted their products as being sweatshop free. In the case of the Starburys the market they are going after are the people who will shell out 180 $ for Air Jordan's, which are well know to be made in sweatshops.

I like it that Starburry's are giving people options for a decent shoe that is reasonable in price.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Well that's cool. I did notice a lot of hi-tops and basketball shoes and such. I'm just not the consumer they're looking to pick up and that's fine.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

I saw SJP on, Oprah I think? I need to check it out more. Honestly I didn't even think about the sweatshop question when I was watching her talk about Bitton

3:43 PM  
Blogger edluv said...

yes, starbury's definately marketed as high tops, basketball shoes because they are.

his goal is to provide a good looking, functional basketball shoe at a low price. this allows kids in the projects to afford his shoes.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home